Monday, March 16, 2009

Day 6, Week 2 in Wuhan, China

Waiting for Lesson to begin....

Time for a Break.....

1st Performance of the night. A beautiful song...


A dance performance....



Our Classmates singing Kaorake Songs....

Me, along with my friends from the School of Foreign
Languages, Grace and Christine (English Names)

Sebestian with Tom

What We Did

This morning, I felt pretty exhausted after doing all the 3 journals till 2am in the morning. I decided to take a nap before getting ready for lesson the very day. We woke up again at 6am to shower and get ready to leave for the classroom.

We headed to class at around 8.30pm. We carried on with our Application Programming (APPG) Lesson. We carried on with Chapter 2, Lab 2 and the Tutorial 2 as well. I had difficulty catching up, in terms of the practical lessons that we had. I knew that I had to work much harder to score a decent grade for this module. During the Morning Part of the Lesson, Mr. Ma explained the concept of object oriented programming to us.
We also covered Tutorial 2 before we were told to attempt Lab 2, as it would give us a better understanding of how to carry out the program. We ended the lesson at around 11.40am, when he went through the Tutorial with us, after allowing us to attempt them on our own at first.

We ate our lunch at the Canteen, before heading back to the hostel for a short break. We watched a hilarious Jackie Chan Movie for about 30 minutes, before heading back to class.
When we went back to class, we continued on our Lab 2 till it was completed. We were also able to clarify all our doubts with Mr. Ma as well. After that, he touched a bit on Chapter 3 as well. As we were having a Welcome Party with Students from WUST later that evening at 6pm, we were released earlier from lesson.

On the way back, the four of us thought of a performance item that was to be performed for the Welcome Party. We pondered on several acts such as Songs, skits and many more. We finally settled on a dance. Initially, we landed in a lot of dead ends, as some were too hard to be rehearsing within an hour, and some were simply hard to learn as well.
As time was running out, we chose a short dance item and rehearsed it within a matter of 20 minutes. When we arrived at the Recreation Centre, we were told that we were the first to perform that evening followed by a performance by the WUST Students. I felt that I would cause more damage to the performance, due to my stiff nature.
When we came on stage, I initially felt very nervous indeed, but I managed to put them aside and gave my best. I think we did a good job, with the help of Sebestian, Hwee Ping and Sasireika.
We went to our seats. We had been given cards and were told to go our designated tables. The main purpose was to be in a group with Students from the Wuhan University. In the table that I was assigned to were 2 female students. Their name was Grace and Christine. Those were their English Names, they also had Chinese Names but I couldn’t pronounce them well. They were Year 1 Students from the School of Foreign Languages and they were majoring in English Language.
We spoke among one another as they perfectly understood what I was trying to say. Although, there were times, they were not able to translate for me; they tried their best to do so whenever they can. It was nice of them to help me understand what was going on through the Programme as the host spoke in Chinese.

There were a lot of programs as well. There was a Karaoke session by some of our classmates, a wushu performance by our classmates, a dance by Students from WUST, several songs by students of WUST and many more. There was also a song sung by Mr. Chua himself. He sang along with staff of WUST. I was surprised that Mr. Ma didn’t join in, as he was known for singing karaoke, based on what Mr. Chua mentioned.
There was a particular performance that I liked was the song sung by one of the students of WUST. If I am not wrong, her name should be Lisa (English Name). She is considered one of the School’s Best Female Singers. Although, I didn’t understand Chinese, I liked the song she sang due to the rhythm of the song.

We ended the night, with a dance along with the other students from WUST. All of us got up when down to join in. Surprisingly, Mr. Ma and Mr. Chua got into the mood and danced all the way. Especially Mr. Ma, who was certainly having a good time. I certainly enjoyed myself.
Soon, came the time to leave, we bid farewell to our newly made Chinese friends, and returned to the hostel to prepare for the next day, as we were headed to the Wuhan Steel Factory in the morning at 7.15pm.

What We Think

In the learning process, there would always be times when things that are to be learnt, they are hard to absorb at one go. I do realize that at times, we would have to work slightly harder for what we want to achieve. Some of us would achieve their targets faster than others, but that shouldn’t dampen our spirit. Instead, it should act as a form of motivation to work harder instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment