Friday, March 20, 2009

Day 3 , Week 3 in Wuhan, China

An empty Class....All the Students have left, EXCEPT US

Lunch Hour CROWD at WUST


Guessnot many people like Halal Food. This Canteen is relatively empty.

Our Cutlery.....and they cost us 1 Yuan
Interior of Restaurent

Dinner......Looking Good

Fishes for Sale......Not at the Pet Store, but the Grocery Store

Don't be mistaken that the fish is taking a nap, its dead.


Read.....Does it make any sense?

Fishes on Sale

Group Picture with the locals


Dancing to the beat, outside the Shopping Mall.

What We Did

Today was the day that we received our results for Semester 1.2 from Ngee A
nn Polytechnic. I initially thought that they would be sent at around 9am onwards through e-mail and mobile. As my mobile didn’t have roaming service, I had to rely on the e-mail to check them instead. I decided to check them after my lesson in the Morning, but apparently, they were already released on the net, much earlier. When I awoke, I realized that the others were already up. Zhi Wei called me over to ask me to check my results. Initially, I was hesitant as I knew very well indeed that I didn’t fare well for my Final Examinations for each of the Modules. I felt that I it was hard to concentrate having missed 1.5 weeks of lessons, when the examinations where 3 weeks away, due to my late father’s death.
I initially estimated that I would achieve a Grade Point Average of 3.00 and above, as I was not sufficiently prepared for the various papers. I was surprised that I achieved a Grade Point Average of 3.85. I wouldn’t say that I am well versed in the context of the various modules; I would just say that I was lucky instead.

We headed for Class for Application Programming Lesson by Mr. Ma. I was still feeling a little drowsy and tired having been up till 4am in the morning to finish up the Programming Assignments. During Lesson, we went through Tutorial 4 and completed Lab 4 as well. I had great difficulty understanding the concept of fully understanding all the components and their properties. It certainly took me a while to fully understand the concepts behind the programming. I even had to redo the entire Program 3 Times due to an error that was hard to be resolved. It certainly felt frustrating but that was the way to learn. I was only able to complete the 1st Part of the Lab 4 and showed it to Mr. Ma for evaluation. Folloeing that, we headed for Lunch.

After Lesson, we headed to have Lunch at Canteen 2. We met Mr. Chua and Mr. Ma there as well. Mr. Chua was having knee problems as he had an accident the day before. He was still recovering from his fall, so he didn’t attend the lesson. We chatted with him about the trip to Wudang Mountain the next day.

Once we ate our Lunch (Fish and Tofu on a Frying Pan with unlimited supply of rice), we headed back to the hostel and got some rest, before heading down to the Classroom up the hill.
In Class, we continued with our2nd Part of Lab 4. I was able to complete the Lab fast with the help of Mr. Ma and some of my classmates. It was slightly easier to do compared to the 1st Part of the Lab, but it was slightly tedious as well. We had to include additional components to the existing program and ensure that our different section can be linked to one another. At around 3.45pm, Tom came into the Classroom to meet us. We were able to complete it by 4.30pm. By then, the entire class had already left. Only the 4 of us and Shaoming and Tom were left along with Mr. Ma as well.

Upon completing the Program, we left the Class and headed to the hostel to drop of our things and have a game of Table Tennis as planned the day before. However, when I arrived at the hostel, I had stomachaches which made me coop myself up in the bathroom. I was only able to join them at the Recreation Centre an hour late. We played several games and for the first time, I played pretty well as well. I am not trying to boast, but before I came to China, I didn’t even know how to hold the bat.

We left at around 7pm and headed out to the Main Road through a Shortcut through the buildings. It was pretty interesting to realize that there was a small exit leading to the hostel of the WUST Campus. That small entrance led to the back door of a nearby medical center. There are certainly lots of places that are pretty much intertwined with one another.
We headed out for Dinner at a nearby restaurant recommended by Tom. He brought us to the restaurant which sells delicious food as especially, the fish, which is considered to be a cut above the rest. We even had a go at trying to write Chinese Characters, as we had to fill in our own orders before giving them to the Waitress. She mentioned that we did well. Not bad for a beginner…

We ordered vegetables, diced Chicken, Steamed Fish and Egg Soup. I especially liked the vegetables and Steamed Fish. We chatted while we ate. It certainly was a pleasant experience to reward ourselves with a Good Meal, with our Good Friends. After the Meal, we went down the Shopping Centre to get stuff, for the trip the next day. At the entrance of the mall, there was a mass dance event taking place, it seemed pretty interesting to view, as they were dancing many different forms of dance. We wanted to stay slightly longer, but we had to get our stuff and return before 9.3pm for our briefing. We bought water bottles and several tidbits as well, for the long bus journey (6 Hours). On the way back, we met Chewy, Zhi Wei and the others at the Shopping Centre as well. They too were buying for the trip, but I guess they bought much more.
Following that, we headed down to the bakery to get our Breakfast.
Upon getting them, we headed back to our hostel using the Shortcut. We sent off Tom and went to pack for the trip and get ready for the briefing as well. During the briefing, we were told to be disciplined and to behave in an appropriate manner when travelling to other locations, especially the Wudang Mountain as there are many temples in the region. We were also told to get ready by 6.50am the next day to board the bus. We decided to head back to our rooms and get some rest for the night, after finishing up on our assignments.

What We Think

One can definitely find links from a particular location to another very easily and in the most awkward places. We never realized that there was an entrance leading to the main road from the back of Medical Center! Such a scene is defiantly not common in Singapore’s urban jungle.

I learned that the people in China lead a simple but contented life. Although, their income level is relatively low and the money they spend on the fireworks is not cheap, they are still feeling very happy able being able to celebrate and earn at the same time. This shows an important aspect in the mindset of the Chinese People, especially the older generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment