Sunday, March 29, 2009

Day 5, Week 4 in Wuhan, China

Doing APPG (Mini Project)...

After that, starting on Journal....


Guess, Siew Bo has made a new friend....



The little dog, guarding the security office.


Cottage Houses....

View across the Pond....


Preparing the Food.....


Picture of Me....

Let's get this Fire Started...


A Beautiful Sunset...



Hwee Ping and Sasireika



I wonder what's cooking?



Students from WUST, Foreign Language School


Having Fun, while BBQ-ing



Can we eat now?


Different Varieties to choose from.....


Mr. Chua and Mr. Ma.....


Sasireika and Hwee Ping


Diyanah, Yong Xin, Jayden, Arvind and Nicholas



Female Students from the School of Foreign Languages, WUST


Is it ready? I am famished....


Peng Juan(Student, Foreign Language School, WUST) and Me

Who do you think it is?


Female Students from the School of Foreign Languages, WUST


Students from the School of Foreign Languages, WUST

Let's Eat.....

Alex and 2 Female Students from WUST, and Me.


Selling of Goods on a Stage....
I think i have drawn attention to myself using Flash.....



KFC Fast Food Interior



My Supper

Ben, Dave, Alex and Jeremy(back) heading out for a meal before returning to hostel.
What We Did

This morning, I woke up at around 8.40am, as I was completing the Photo Essay and the Journal for the past night. I wanted to sleep slightly longer but I knew I had to get some work done. My other classmates were thinking of heading toward the Computer District to check out on the deals available there. I didn’t want to go, as I had yet to complete my Mini Project for APPG and our other pending Assignments as well.

We ate our Breakfast and went to meet the girls (Sasireika and Hwee Ping) to do our outstanding assignments doe both IS and APPG. After finishing up on my blog, I started on the coding of my Mini Project. It took me quite a while to get the right codes on the Design, given its complexity. I was only able to complete 1/8 of the Project by Lunchtime.

For lunch, we ate Cup Noodles while watching TV. On the Screen, there was a Jackie Chan Movie featuring his Drunken Fist Techniques. The show apparently ran probably a couple of hours ago, but we saw the ending instead. Although, I didn’t understand what was being said, as they were in Mandarin, we watched his martial performance as the movie came to an end.
We resumed with our Mini Project, and I managed to complete the Program till 3/8 was completed successfully. I went down to my hostel to freshen up before meeting the others at around, 4.40pm. Sebastian left earlier as he was called up to carry some items to the BBQ Site. I accompanied Sasireika and Hwee Ping to the site.

When we arrived there, it was empty and there wasn’t even a BBQ Site in view. We happen to be carrying out the BBQ Even at a Student Camp Facility, belonging to WUST, Zhongnan Branch. It seemed slightly rundown as the facilities such as the high elements and the rock climbing wall seemed to be in a slightly bad condition. There were also old decommissioned weaponry on display, but I assume they have been there for a long time, as the state they were in was pretty bad.

When we went there, there were many dogs in the area. This certainly created some discomfort, especially for Sasireika and Xin Rong, who have a slight fear of dogs. There was one particular dog, which caught my eye. This little fella was initially bought by a Student from Ngee Ann Polytechnic who was undergoing a similar programme in the same University and Branch. As he was unable to take it along with him, on his return to Singapore, he gave the ownership of the dog to the person who was manning the Student Camp Facility. That dog is such a nice dog. Dave wanted to provoke it, but the dog retaliated by barking and running after Dave. Never judge anyone by their appearance alone. This would be a Perfect Example.

After a discussion by the WUST Students, Dave, and Ben, they decided to do the BBQ at an outdoor parcel of land, which I think was previously used for camping purposes. They already had holes in the ground for cooking. Getting the fire started was a difficult issue. They had no fire starters, making it difficult to start a fire. We thought of burning dry leaves to start the fire, but they were not many around as well. We had to pull a lot of dry branches from the fields surrounding the BBQ area. I felt like a farmer harvesting crops, as we had to collect a lot of dry leaves. Sebastian started making fire with whatever they could. We were provided with many items such as chopsticks, tissue and even plastic. There was even a time, where one lady started to burn plastic bag to produce fire for another pit. Burning plastic would produce poisonous and harmful gas. We took a step back, in order not to breathe in the air, and told the lady to stop burning the plastic. It was kind of scary knowing that she actually did that.

While some of us were making the fire and others collecting firewood, the girls and a few guys helped in the preparation of the food. Most of the foods were pork based. Only a few were Chicken and Mutton. We had to be careful on what we eat.

Soon, night fell and all 5 pits were ready for cooking. I wanted to help out at one of the pits, but realized that they were cooking pork as well. I decided to help by preparing the food instead using the gloves provided. Every now and then, I took pictures of the event as well, as Sasireika and Hwee Ping were busy preparing food while Sebastian was making fire.

The Students of WUST were very kind and concerned as well. When they realized that I wasn’t able to eat neither Pork nor Beef, they cooked Chicken for the both of us (Sasireika and Me). Not only that, they also constantly gave me a lot of food such as Marshmallows, and Mutton Sticks as well. They were certainly having a good time along with the Students from our Division. It started to become very dark, as time passed. Soon, we could see nothing much except the flames from the pits. Sebastian rushed back to get his LED Lights so as to allow for clearer visibility.
While having our meal, we chatted with Students from WUST. We chatted with Tom, Alex Xu, Peng Juan and many more others as well. It was a good way to interact with one another as we talked about our own countries facts and shared them with the Students.

At around 8.30pm, we left the BBQ Site with Tom after saying good bye to the Students from WUST as well as a few of our Students who wanted to stay slightly longer and enjoy themselves.
We headed down to KFC to have our supper before heading our way back. While heading towards KFC, there was a sale ongoing, but of a different approach. They were promoting items on stage to be sold to the public. I took a picture accidentally with flash, making the audience tilt their heads in our direction. I felt kind of weird being watched as a thousand eyes were upon me. We quickly hurried away from the crowd.

On the way, back Sasireika asked Tom about his Student Life in greater depth. We bought our Breakfast at the Bakery and made our way back to the hostel. At the hostel, we gave Tom a Gift (A Chinese-English Dictionary) to prepare him for his Translation Exams. I guess he was pretty shocked based on his expression. Well, he was a nice friend as he accompanied us through the weeks in Wuhan and he deserved it.


What We Think

It was good to have such interactions as they would help to ensure that the gap between us is minimized and that we are able to communicate with one another with greater ease. I was able to communicate relatively well in English with Students, thus improving my level of confidence and interpersonal skills. I also learned a great deal about the Student’s Life in China, such as Academics, Sports and many other areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment