Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Day 1, Week 4 in Wuhan, China

Dinner...
Starting to get slightly boring..

Guess Sebastian was too hungry that he coudn't wait to eat
but ended up breaking his chopsticks.....
Back to the Stall.......


Interior of a Stall's Kitchen. I don't thnk we are allowed to take any pictures here....


Interior of Stall's Kitchen...
Almost everything is left open.......



Waffle with a twist......


What We Did

This morning, I felt pretty exhausted after staying up till 2am in the morning, doing the APPG Paper. I decided to take a nap before getting ready for lesson the very day. We woke up again at 6am to shower and get ready to leave for the classroom.

On the way to class, we were having breakfast while walking. While walking, I ended up dropping my bread while walking up the stairs. I only took a bite and I had to throw it away, as it landed in a pool of water, on the ground. That cost 4.50 Yuan. Gone to waste…………

We headed to class at around 8.30pm. We carried on with our Application Programming (APPG) Lesson. We carried on with Chapter 5, Lab 5 and the Tutorial 5 as well. I had difficulty catching up, in terms of the practical lessons that we had. I knew that I had to work much harder to score a decent grade for this module. During the Morning Part of the Lesson, Mr. Ma explained the concept of File Input and Output to us. We also covered Tutorial 5 before we were told to attempt Lab 5, as it would give us a better understanding of how to carry out the program. We ended the lesson at around 11.40am, when he went through the Tutorial with us, after allowing us to attempt them on our own at first.

We ate our lunch at the Canteen 2, and decided not to return to the hostel due to time constraint. We shared a meal among ourselves and went to the local minimart to buy some stuff. Sebastian as usual, bought Yogurt. I don’t understand the fascination on what is so fantastic of the yogurt that Sebestian ate them for the past few days.

When we went back to class, we continued on our Lab 5 till it was completed. We were also able to clarify all our doubts with Mr. Ma as well. After that, he told us to try out the APPG Exam Paper. After all, by trying it ourselves, we would have a much better idea of what the different concepts of C# Programming is. We attempted the paper for about 45 minutes. Following that, Mr. Ma went through the paper with us, although he was lost initially with various versions of the same paper on his laptop. We were released at around 4.30pm, but we stayed behind till 5.30pm to gain an better understanding of the Chapter.

After heading back to the hostel to place our belongings and have a short break, we went down to have our Dinner at the nearby Canteen at around 7.30pm, before heading out the Street to get our breakfast for the next day. On the way back, we bought some snacks for Zhi Wei, Jia He (also known as Chewy) and Xin Rong since we were along the shops.
We also bought some snacks from the roadside stall which sold Pancake Fish with Strawberry filling. It tasted like a waffle. It was pretty good as well. They happened to give us more when we ordered just 6 of them. They gave us 10 instead. That was nice of them to do so. We returned back to the hostel following that, to continue with our assignments.

What We Did

It has been 3 weeks, since I arrived in Wuhan. We have also reached the midway mark of our Overseas Immersion Programme (OIP). I felt that I have adapted well in Campus, in their lifestyle and their weather. Although, it may have been a shaky start, I feel that all has been well as time gradually passed by.

I am beginning to get used to the idea of being looked at an awkwardly manner as I travel within the campus as well as out in the City Area. Many of them looked at us, as though we were out of this world. I do realize that Indians are not a common sight, especially in China. Some believe that I came from India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and even the Middle East. Do I look that different?

Speaking in Mandarin is definitely hard for me, although I am able to speak simple words, such as greetings and certain locations around the Campus and the City. I can attempt to speak in Mandarin once in a while, but with caution as if I were to pronounce the word incorrectly, I may ended more harm instead. Thankfully Sebestian and Hwee Ping are around to guide Sasireika and me every once in a while.

One can definitely witness a different variety of people in China. There are some, whom wouldn’t bother helping you when you are lost or when you need help desperately. One such Incident would be when we were in the Night Market Area when a lady’s vehicle got on a concrete slab. She called desperately for help, yet not many bothered to do so. They simply look and walk off. Some would even stand there and watch. How Shameful of them! There were a few who wanted to help to carry the vehicle, regardless the fact of how dirty it was and how heavy the vehicles were as well. We did our best to help and that’s all that matters.

Over the days, I have noticed that the habit of spitting randomly has been picked up by children aged roughly 6-12 Years of age. They would spit as and when they like. I believe that this habit has been brought down from their parents. I already knew that the issue of spitting was rampant in China, but I never did realize that it was much more than I initially thought it was.
Through this experience, I realize that one should never take things for granted.
We must never forget our roots no matter how far or how high we are from our homeland. Complaining about a different environment would not make me learn; only through adapting will I be able to learn things more effectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment