Sunday, March 8, 2009

Day 2, Week 1 in Wuhan, China

Friends from the ECE Division
Morning Breakfast..


Home Sweet Home (For 6 Weeks Only!)

Re gan mian ( also known as Hot and Dry Noodles),
Very Dry, Need a lot of Water.....



Group Photo of Entire ECE Divison


Various Buildings in Wuhan Univeristy of Science and Technology (WUST



Campus Recreation Centre


School of Information Engineering


Main WUST Building



Main WUST Building
Translation: "Success comes with Education"


Library of WUST



School of Literature and Law Studies


School of Life Sciences


School for the Arts



Grafitti Drawings

Canteen 2, Does not sell Halal Food though.....


Banner welcoming Ngee Ann Students from Singapore by WUST

Main Street leading to Luxiang Area



Shopping Complexes in Wuhan, China
Shopping Complexes in Wuhan, China

Foodcarts in the Streets of Luxiang, Wuhan

Foodcarts in the Streets of Luxiang, Wuhan

What We Did

The first night that we had at the hostel, was definitely chilling. Even though I was covered in 4 Layers of Clothing excluding a Sleeping Bag and a Blanket, I was still practically shivering throughout the night. I ended waking up at every hour, only to my dismay that it was still too early. I rested and finally got up at 6.30pm and prepared my clothing for the Day.
Thankfully, being the first to shower, I had the luxury of showering in warm water. It felt extremely cold initially. Soon, the water was pretty hot and I need not had to worry about the condition of the water.

Upon getting ready, Sebastian and I woke up the rest in our Apartment and went down to with the rest to Canteen 1 to have our Breakfast. Initially, we were lost on whether we were at the right location as we were informed that there was 4 Canteens in the entire University Campus. However, we were on time and at the right location, but Mr.Chua, and Mr.Ma were not on time. I am sure they had a good reason for not being there on time. Besides, we were not angry towards form being late. In fact, we were merely having fun in the cool weather!

For Breakfast, re gan mian ( Hot and Dry Noodles, a Popular Dish in Wuhan; People living there have this as Breakfast daily). I was not too satisfied with the dish as it was too dry, However, I didn’t wanted to disappoint the host and add whatever that I could. It was pretty filling actually, but I still needed time getting used to the food.

After Breakfast, we headed for the Campus Tour after a short pit stop at our hostel. We were shown the various buildings around the Campus, such as the Information Engineering Building, Literature and Law College, School of Language and International Education, the main Administration Building and many more. We were also shown the sights and sounds of the areas surrounding the Campus, such as the lake and the residential areas at the coastal lines. We couldn’t see much due to the mist, but we could make out how they looked. There were many amenities in the Campus. There was a Provision Store for all your needs, fruits and food stalls and even a barber as well. There were Graffiti Drawings and other forms of art displayed across the Campus. We were able to see a group of Arts Students doing a Sketch of one another. They were pretty impressive.

After the Tour, we proceeded to our classroom at the School of Language and International Education, which would be the location for our lessons for both, IS as well as APPG (Applications Programming). We were briefed on the basic protocol and the behavior that was expected of us and the consequences of our actions if we violated them.

This piece of news surely gave excitement to all the students, including myself. For the past day, the Internet Connection was done, resulting in lack of communication between us students and parents. We were finally told that the Connection was up and running. The whole class simply wanted to start to go online.

However, we were told to start to head down to Canteen for Lunch and prepare for our tour of the City Area of Wuhan. We went down and purchased our food with the card presented to us by WUST. These cards have the same function as an EZ Link Card but they were used to purchase our food at the canteens in the campus.

To travel to the City Area, we had to board the bus services outside the University. We managed to get onboard a bus service 9o1 and headed to the city within a matter of 25 minutes. The bus journey was a bit bumpy as we had to squeeze with large amounts of people boarding and alighting from the bus. I was practically standing at the exit doorway of the bus, which left me in a pretty dangerous position. In the end, we managed to alight safely at our destination.

We set on food to explore the area. We were walking towards the shopping district of Wuhan, where we had to be in constant alert of vehicles coming in both directions. There were even incidents whereby, we were in close collision with vehicles such as buses and cars.
We did not purchase any items although we were eager to do so. We had to manage our finances and ensure that it can sustain us for the entire 6 weeks in China. We decided to go Window Shopping instead. By looking out for the prices of the goods, we were able to compare the prices between Singapore and China. By the end of our trip, we can estimate the amount of money required to purchase this items.

When we left the Shopping Centre, I realized that my Glove was missing from my Pocket. As I am someone of a frantic nature, I started panicking and retraced my steps to find it, but to no avail. It was only my Second Day, yet I lost something! We decided to move on, leaving the matter behind, as there was nothing much that I could do.

After looking around the various shopping complexes, we headed for Dinner at KFC. I was slightly hesitant at first to eat at KFC as I wasn’t sure if it would be safe. I decided to assure myself that the food is safe given its reputation and safety record. Believe it or not, it tasted quite good.

After our meal, we decided to head back to the hostel as we were exhausted from the day’s events. Not only that, we also spent the night before up quite late as well. We informed Mr. Ma and proceeded back to the Hostel.

Upon reaching WUST, we headed to get our Laundry Equipment such as soap and pails. I also had to make an additional trip to the nearby store to buy a new set of gloves as well. Although, they were of lower quality, I had to buy due to the weather conditions.

We ended the day with a briefing from Mr. Ma and Mr. Chua on the next few days’ events and other matters including safety and communication among one another as well.

What We Think

During our first breakfast meal at the Canteen, the food for Breakfast was slightly hard for me to digest. I was not allowed to consume beef nor pork. I was only allowed to consume other types of food instead. I decided to eat the noodles (re gan mian). I felt that the dish was too dry for me to eat it. I needed a lot of water after eating few times. I was told that it was a popular dish in Wuhan, given the weather conditions. Since It was my second day, at Wuhan, I decided to allow myself to adapt to the food and lifestyle of campus and its surrounding areas.

The bus transportation system in Wuhan, China was different from Singapore’s Transportation System. In Wuhan, China, there is a Bus Driver and Bus Conductor to drive and assign tickets and collect fares respectively. However in Singapore, we only have a Bus Driver. The role of the Bus Conductor has been replaced by a machine as transactions are done electronically. Not only that, there is no limit of the amount of people that are allowed to board the bus in China, but in Singapore there are strict rules and regulations that have to be followed in order for the company to legally operate in the island.

The Bus Drivers in Wuhan are driving in a relatively unsafe manner, by weaving in and out of lanes in order to reduce waiting time. These can result in severe consequences. However in Singapore, buses are given priority especially during peak times on certain lanes. This helps in reducing the casualty rate and reduces congestion problems as well.

My Glove went missing in the busy shopping district of Wuhan as well. Initially, I felt slightly down of my loss, but I felt very much relieved as my passport and other electronic gadgets were safe and intact. If my passport were to be stolen or lost, the consequences would simply be too drastic indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment