Monday, April 13, 2009

Day 7, Week 6 in Wuhan, China

Group Picture with Tom (Formal)




Group Picture with Tom (Informal)

Me and Tom



We are going home....



Wuhan Tianhe International Airport




Wuhan Tianhe International Airport



Gift from Tom. A necklace with a Wolf's Teeth


Sebastian, Hwee Ping and Sasireika



Zhi Wei & Xin Rong. Finally got their names right!



Arrived at Guangzhou....


Collecting luggage....
PS: My camera died halfway through the plane, so there are no pictures for the plane ride from Guangzhou to Singapore...Sorry....

What We Did

In the morning, we woke up at around 8am and got our luggage weighed before leaving for the Airport. When we left the room, we were told by the people in charge there was a glass missing in the room. We had no idea where it was kept. As it couldn’t be found, we had to pay them instead. I managed to keep my baggage weight to be around 25 kg. If we had exceeded 30 kg, we had to pay US 20 Dollars for every kg of Weight we added. Once all the bags were checked, we brought them to the bus which was located outside the School of Information Engineering. The bus couldn’t travel outside the hostel as there was ongoing works by the side of the road. We had to pull our heavy luggage all the way up instead. When we approached the bus, we met some of the WUST Students who came to send us if, including Tom. We shared with him our contacts and gave him the pictures taken during the visit to his hometown in Anqing. He had done a lot for us. We were certainly very grateful for the help he provided. He even went to the extent to give us a gift as well. He gave Sebastian a necklace from Tibet containing a Wolf’s Teeth. By wearing it, those around him would be in good hands. That was very thoughtful of him. It was certainly hard for us to leave. We boarded the bus and headed for a 2 Hour Drive, where I slept throughout as I was awake the whole night, doing my assignments.

At Wuhan Tianhe International Airport, we waited for our flight to Guangzhou which was scheduled for takeoff at 3.10pm, but we had to board the plane from 2.45 onwards. We were given an hour for free and easy time, so we decided to explore the area. The food sold I the airport was very pricey, so we decided to have our lunch at Guangzhou International Airport instead. We bought some packets of Rice Biscuits’ from Yichang. They were sold at 10 Yuan, compared to Yichang, where it was sold at 16 Yuan. I decided to buy one more to bring back home instead. At around 2.15pm, we met with Mr. Chua collected our passports and our boarding passes and headed towards the gates. We took and headed towards Guangzhou. Although, we met with slight turbulence on the way, we managed to get to Guangzhou on time.

At Guangzhou International Airport, we had 30 minutes for free and easy as our flight was at 7.10pm and we had to board by 6.45pm. As there was not much time, we ate a small sandwich and went to the gates. We waited at the entrance of the gates thinking that we were at the right location. We soon realized that we were at the wrong location at 7pm, and the gates were closing soon as well. We asked for permission to go through VIP Clearance. We went through the special lane and we were shocked at the manner in which they handled our belongings. They simply threw my laptop in to the scanning machine. One of the officials even handled my hand luggage roughly by carrying it in the opposite manner. As we were in a rush, we didn’t want to create more delay; we just packed as fast as we could and left the immigration. We also went on the small vehicle to bring us to the gate at the far end. The driver was very insensitive by asking money up front. We were in a rush; they could have brought us to the gate first and on the way, tell us the fee as well. As we ran out of Chinese Currency, we gave him $10 and finally he started to drive his vehicle. Upon arrival at the gate, we rushed into the plane after having our passports checked. The whole plane was waiting for us; it was certainly a misadventure. I simply couldn’t imagine getting stranded in foreign country.

On the plane, I couldn’t sleep; partly due to 2 reasons. The first reason being the possibility of stranded in a foreign country due to the incident in Guangzhou and the second reason is the feeling of returning home after 6 weeks. To pass time, we chatted among the other students from the Building and Environment Division. I also played with Zhi Wei’s PSP and watched some movies as well.

When we reached Changi Airport, Singapore, we alighted from the plane and took our last picture (an informal one) before we were allowed to go around and duty free items we wanted. We were also reminded of the submissions for the 2 modules as well. On the way out, I bought a perfume for my brother which he only ended up telling me after I got down from the plane. I also bought alcohol for Zhi Wei as he was not allowed to buy (as he was not 18 yet). After buying the drinks, we headed to collect our luggage and I saw my mom, brother and sister for the 1st time in 6 weeks. It certainly felt to be home once more.

What We Think

This 6 Weeks in Wuhan, Hubei, China has certainly been a great experience for me as it has broadened my mind to absorb new information around me, and at the same time, build strong friendship among one another. I have made new friends in China and visited many interesting and historic places as well such as the Three Gorges Dam and the Yangtze River as well.

I have learnt much more than I could possibly had if I had done so in classroom environment. By learning in a foreign country, I have learnt to become adaptable to change and have improved my readiness in working in another country and changing my lifestyle as such as well.

I would definitely recommend this Program to any Student who would be willing to go beyond Singapore and explore the unknown. This Programme has certainly made me to become a better person in a multitude of ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment