Sunday, April 5, 2009

Day 5, Week 5 in Wuhan, China

Having Lunch....


Is this how they say INSURANCE in CHINA?


I don't think that the 2nd Sentence is phrase well....



Similar to Giant: Plaza Singapura....



Motorbikes on Display...
Usually, they are displayed at Showrooms, not at a SuperMarket.....


Bubble Tea....Chinese Version


A Double Decker Bus in Wuhan....



A 24 Hr Atm Service Station......



They even hang their clothes on roadside streets.
I can't believe this....



Finally, a shoe that fits my huge feet....

What We Did

In the morning, we woke up around 9.30am in the morning again. It was quite unexpected as I slept much earlier the night before. Although I slept for at least 9 hours, I still felt tired and wanted to sleep more, but I had to get some work done. Before we met up with the girls for Lunch, I did a rough calculation of the amount that I would have to convert from Singapore Dollars to Chinese Yuan. I estimated that I needed to change around $200 to fund my expenses for souvenirs as well as my trip to Anhui with the rest.

For lunch, we had Maggie Mee as we had had quite a large number of packets that we brought from Singapore. We decided to have them for lunch as we were also running low on cash as well. We ate our meals with Khoon Fong, Hwee Ping and Sasireika as well.

After lunch, we headed out to the Luxiang District to withdraw Cash for the trip to Anhui. When we alighted around the area, we headed towards the nearest banks to change our currency. However, we were told that they do not have the service on weekends. We decided to try our luck by asking other Banks along the street as well, but they also mentioned the same thing as well. Furthermore, it was also Qing Ming Festival from Saturday to Monday. Thus, we couldn’t do anything. It seemed we had to come back one of the days, next week, to change our currency.
We headed to Carrefour, to get Ziploc Bags for our return trip back to Singapore. That would help us to pack our things, especially when we have a lot of souvenirs as well. I finally found a pair of shoes that I could wear. After weeks of searching, I finally found as size of 48. Although, it was not a brand like Nike or Adidas, it had a good feel. I knew it was going to be expensive, given its size and design. It costed me a price of 199 Yuan ($50). I didn’t want to buy, though I liked it, as I had insufficient funds. I must really thank Sasireika, Hwee Ping and Sebastian for helping to pay for the shoes and other expenses as well. My funds depleted itself by the 4th Week, as I brought only 1800 Yuan. We also bought mutton sticks as a snack as the roadside stall outside our campus vanished weeks ago. We were told that he went to his hometown in Xinjiang Province. It tasted average, but not as good as the one sold outside our campus previously.
On the way back, I decided to try out the Starbucks Coffee at the Shopping Centre. It was slightly cheaper than Singapore’s Starbucks Outlets. I was also needed a drink as well due to the spiciness of the Satay. It tasted quite good actually, but Singapore’s version is still the best. We decided to try our luck and walked down further to see if there were any banks which offered currency conversion. We couldn’t find any as we walked down several streets. We decided to head back to the Campus. On the way, we dropped by the Bakery to get our Breakfast the next day.

Upon reaching the hostel, we went to our apartments to get some rest and get some work done, before heading out to have dinner. After having dinner, we returned to our hostel to continue with our assignments and revision for our Theory Test 2 as well.

What We Think

The Banks in China do not operate on the same basis as the Banks in Singapore. The banks in Singapore, both local and international, on a 5-6 Day Work Week. There are a few banks in Singapore that operate on all 7 days in a week. Nevertheless, they provide all financial services throughout their operating hours. However, there are mostly local banks in China, and there are hardly any foreign banks, even in the city district. Most of the banks are open throughout the week. They have certain days where some financial services are provided.

No comments:

Post a Comment