Thursday, April 9, 2009

Day 2, Week 6 in Wuhan, China


Mr. Philip An recieving a Gift from Mr. Chua and Mr. Ma


Oops, i did it again...



Cinema at Luxiang District



Cinema at Luxiang District




What does it take TO FIND a lost love?
A/Money
B/Luck
C/Smarts
D/DESTINY


Durians in Wuhan, they are extremely heavy....


Sebastian having his Satay



Sebastian and Hwee Ping


Sasireika and Khoon Fong

What We Did
This morning, we went for our Interview with Mr. Ma for our Mini Project for Application Programming (APPG). My time slot was at 9.45am, but I went earlier along with Sasireika, Hwee Ping and Khoon Fong as they were to present from 9am onwards. Sebastian went to consult Siew Ba regarding his program.

While waiting for the interview to begin, Mr. Ma and Mr. Chua decided to present the gift of the Table Tennis Set to the Dean of the Foreign Language School, Mr. Philip An. Initially, it was planned to be given to him at the closing ceremony, but it was not thought to be right to do so. We decided to give him a closed ceremony instead. That would be more appropriate as well. I guess he like the gift, being a table tennis enthusiast himself. I saw him play once against Mr. Chua, and he certainly gave him a tough fight indeed.

When the Interview began, Hwee Ping started her presentation followed by Sasireika and Khoon Fong. They presented very well indeed. Their enhancements were pretty unique as well. Soon, it was my turn to present. I was feeling slightly nervous as that point of time. I gave my best and presented well, with minimal hiccups. I managed to slow my pace down as well. If I had not done so, Mr. Ma would have been lost, as he would have lost track of where I am presenting at the fast pace I was presenting at.

On the way back to the hostel, we went down to the bakery to get a cake for Sasireika sister’s birthday. She bought a Strawberry Cake for her as she liked it. We returned back to the hostel to continue with our work, while waiting for Sasireika Sister to come online.
When she came online, we surprised her with a birthday cake. Although, the connection was weak, we managed to sing a Birthday Song across to her, in Singapore. It was nice of Sasireika to celebrate her Sister’s Birthday.

After celebrating her birthday, we got ready and headed out for shopping at the Luxiang District. We first went to Carrefour Outlet to get snacks and tidbits. We also bought some Door Gifts for Tom’s Parents as well. We decided to buy a Gift Set of Tea and Honey. It wouldn’t be nice if we were to go to his house without a gift.

After getting our snacks and stuff, we headed to the McDonalds at Basement 1 to have Lunch, before heading out to Night Market, near the Computer District. I needed to get some gifts for my Mom and my sister as well. We headed down for a 1 Hour Walk down to the Area. When we arrived there, it was already 4.15pm. We decided to have the snacks sold along the way as dinner. They were quite nice as well.

On the way down to Night Market, we received a call from Tom stating the Trip to Anhui may be cancelled to safety concerns. The Dean of the Foreign Languages School, Mr. Philip An mentioned that he were to think twice of whether he was planning to bring us to another province. Tom mentioned that he would try his best and get approval from the Dean for allowing us to go to his hometown. We were quite disappointed as we felt that we were unable to go. I guess the Dean was being concerned for our safety.

As we headed to shopping, I was a bit clueless as I had no experience buying items for ladies. I had to ask Sasireika, Hwee Ping and Khoon Fong for help on this matter. I didn’t want to get wrong gifts for my mom and my sister. They helped me to get a bag for my mother and 2 outfits for my sister as well. I would have to thank Sasireika for trying out the outfit as well.
While going around, we came across a men’s shop selling clothing for guys. There was one particular Jacket and Track pants Set which was being sold 140 Yuan. Khoon Fong was fast in securing a bargain by asking the shop owner to reduce the price to 100 Yuan. She was so good, that she managed to reduce the price to 80 Yuan. That was some skill there, Khoon Fong. Thanks!

After buying whatever we could, we headed out to have Satay at the nearby roadside stall. It was very spicy that I drank an entire bottle of apple juice at one go. As it was getting late, we headed back to campus using bus service 907. We had to squeeze onboard the bus, as it came once every 30 minutes.

Once we came back, we headed back to our hostel, to receive the reply from Tom to confirm if we are going for the trip to his hometown. He finally said yes, but we had to be very careful as any mistake we were to make would place Tom in a very difficult position indeed. We headed down to continue with our packing for the trip and retired early for the night.

What We Think

When buying gifts in Supermarkets such as Carrefour, if I were to consult a sales assistant on what gift to get for a particular someone, the first question that they would ask would be this; “Is the person whom you are giving this gift to an important person?” This clearly shows that status does matter in China, especially when buying of gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment